Tuesday, August 22, 2017
Monday, August 21, 2017
Among the eclectic throng of demonstrators in Boston on Saturday, a supporter of President Trump found himself surrounded by protesters who yelled profanities at him.
A man wearing an Israeli flag as a cape can be seen in a video shared by Univision's Jessica Weiss, walking through a crowd of protesters. One person rips off his "Make America Great Again" and throws it away.
"You shouldn't be afraid to go outside and say you're conservative," he added "And it's pretty sad that things like this happen."
Thousands of protesters descended on Boston on Saturday, including a "free speech" rally organized by some right-leaning groups. These groups were reportedly far outnumbered by groups of counter-protesters.
Steve Bannon, the former Breitbart News editor-turned-White House strategist may be out of the Trump administration, but he has far from given up on influencing President Trump’s policies.
Last week, the White House announced that Bannon was leaving the administration, after just seven months as White House Chief Strategist.
"White House Chief of Staff John Kelly and Steve Bannon have mutually agreed today would be Steve's last day. We are grateful for his service and wish him the best," said White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders in a statement quoted by The Hill.
There are conflicting reports over who was ultimately behind the push to oust Bannon, with the Daily Mail claiming Sunday that it was President Trump’s daughter Ivanka who led the effort to remove the firebrand whose support for populism and economic nationalist frustrated Washington insiders. Breitbart News, however, cited a White House aide who said the claim was “totally false”.
Inside the Trump White House, Bannon clashed with the president’s son-in-law and senior advisor, Jared Kushner, leading the president to order the two down to Mar-a-Lago for a meeting to iron out their differences.
Following his ouster, Bannon remained defiant, saying that he would be “going to war” for President Trump.
Sources close to Bannon told Vanity Fair that the 63-year-old former naval officer planned to continue his struggle with Kushner and other administration foes from the outside, looking to influence President Trump externally – perhaps via Breitbart News.
Bannon allies cited both personal disagreements as well as a series of substantive policy differences between Bannon and Kushner.
According to the Vanity Fair report, Bannon, among other things, advocated strongly for a pro-Israel approach in the Trump White House, pushing for the president to make good on his campaign promise to relocate the US embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, and to take a tougher line on the Palestinian Authority’s support for terrorists jailed in Israel.
In May, a photograph of Bannon’s agendadrawn up on a white board in the White House also suggested his support for the embassy move.
Sources cited by Vanity Fair claimed that while Bannon pushed the embassy issue, it was Kushner who blocked the relocation.
No fewer than three sources close to the former White House senior strategist also said it was Bannon who pushed for a hardline against the PA, including PA chief Mahmoud Abbas, while Kushner and other White House officials opted for a maintaining a more cordial relationship with the PA leader.
The three sources claimed Bannon refused to attend the White House meeting with Abbas this past May, saying he preferred to stay home rather than meet with “that terrorist”.
“I’m not going to breathe the same air as that terrorist,” Bannon reportedly texted a friend.
Sunday, August 20, 2017
Missed out on snagging a pair of solar glasses needed to watch the first total solar eclipse of the 21st century without the naked eye?
Well, considering wearing protective eyewear to view the eclipse is a must, you may think you're out of luck.
Actually though, you do have a couple of options.
First, TV and the Internet. The eclipse will be broadcast and streamed live on numerous outets.
Second, there's a trick you can do.
Turn your back to the sun and moon, raise your mobile phone in selfie position and watch the eclipse through your phone. You can even snap some photos. But there are also important safety tips if you go the selfie route you can read by clicking here. Experts also warn aiming the lense of the phone at the sun for too long a period of time may damage the lens.
On Monday, Aug. 21, everyone in the continental United States, in fact, everyone in North America -- plus parts of South America, Africa, and Europe -- will have at least a partial solar eclipse. The thin path of totality will pass through portions of 14 states.
Weeks of anticipation have been tempered by a big variable: the weather forecast and whether the possibility of cloudy skies might prevent Hudson Valley residents from seeing it.
Now though, there is no uncertainty.
The forecast for Monday calls for sunny skies and warm temperatures, with a high in the mid- to upper-80s.
Though New York will not be one of the 14 states seeing the full total eclipse, for an animation of what you may see from your Hudson Valley location on Monday, click here.
The eclipse will be visible starting at 1:23 p.m. Monday with a partial eclipse. Peak viewing time with about 71 percent coverage expected will be around 2:44 p.m. The event will wrap up at around 3:59 p.m. with a partial eclipse.
The sun will disappear behind the moon, turning daylight into twilight, and leading to a quick plunge in temperature before streamers of light streaking across the sky around the moon's silhouette.
It will mark the first time a total solar eclipse will be visible from the mainland United States since 1979.
How long ago was that? Well, consider this. Jimmy Carter was president and 63 Americans were taken as hostages in Iran shortly after Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini returned to Tehran after nearly 15 years of exile.
"A total eclipse of the sun belongs on everyone's bucket list," said Hudson Valley resident and renowned astronomer and science communicator Neil deGrasse Tyson of North Salem.
The eclipse will also be the first to sweep across the entire country since 1918.
Given all that, excitement is building. You can check out a website devoted just to the eclipse -- eclipse2017org -- by clicking here.
After Monday, the next total solar eclipse is due for April 2024.
|Barcelona's chief rabbi Meir Bar-Hen told his congregation to move to Israel to flee terror|
Barcelona's chief rabbi has urged Jews to move to Israel after warning that Europe has been 'lost' because of the threat from radical Islam.
At least 14 people were killed and some 130 others injured when attackers ploughed into pedestrians on a promenade in the tourist area on Thursday evening.
ISIS has claimed responsibility for the Barcelona outrage and another attack in Cambrils yesterday, which resulted in one person dying and seven people being injured after five men wearing fake suicide belts drove an Audi A3 into crowds on the seafront.
Western Europe has been a regular target for jihadists over the last few years. And Barcelona's chief rabbi Meir Bar-Hen told his congregation to move to Israel to flee terror.
In an interview with Jewish news agency JTA, he said: 'I tell my congregants: Don't think we're here for good, and I encourage them to buy property in Israel'
'This place is lost. Don't repeat the mistake of Algerian Jews, of Venezuelan Jews. Better (get out) early than late. Europe is lost.'
The Federation of Jewish Communities of Spain did not to share Bar-Hen's pessimistic outlook. The organization issued a statement Thursday, saying: 'Spanish Jews trust the State Security Corps that work daily to prevent radical fanatics and Islamists from sowing chaos and pain in our cities.'
The group also urged politicians to 'deal intelligently and determinedly with the struggle against fanaticism and in favor of freedom and democracy.'
The terrorists had originally planned to drive three vans packed with explosives into iconic parts of Barcelona including the Sagrada Familia cathedral, it has been reported.
Had their butane-filled gas containers not accidentally detonated the night before the atrocities on Thursday, the 12-person terror cell would have used them to maximise deaths in the tourist hotspots of the Spanish city, local media suggest.
They intended to explode one van in Las Ramblas, a second by the world-famous Sagrada Familia cathedral and the last in the port area of the city, El Espanol has claimed.
The cathedral, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is one of the most visited attractions in Europe.
Architect Antonio Gaudi began construction in 1882 and, despite him dying in 1926, it is still officially incomplete.
In 2010 it was consecrated by Pope Benedict XVI as a minor basilica.
New Jersey Attorney General Christopher Porrino posted a $25,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of whoever vandalized a recently-erected eruv in Mahwah.
The mission of the Bias Crime Unit, within the New Jersey Division of Criminal Justice, is "the statewide coordination of efforts to eliminate crimes motivated by prejudice against others based on race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, disability or ethnicity," Porrino wrote.
Porrino's announcement came after Mahwah Mayor Bill Laforet offered a $1,000 reward that was matched by Teaneck Councilman Mark Schwartz and a fellow Teaneck resident (The total: $27,000).
"This is the second crime of this nature," Laforet told Daily Voice Saturday morning. "This sends a very strong message to anyone involved in this crime: We are not a community of hate, and hate has no home in Mahwah."
Last week, township Police Chief James Batelli announced that anyone caught vandalizing the PVC piping along utility poles would be prosecuted under state bias crime statutes.
The piping creates a religious enclosure, known as an eruv, for Hassidics attending temple services across the state line in Rockland County.
Damage was found earlier this month and last month, amid a backlash from residents.
A Monsey-based group has sued the township in federal court, contending that its members' civil rights were being violated by officials and residents who are trying to have the eruv removed.
Rockland Utilities said the work was done legally after the proper documentation was filed and approved.
ANY TIPS on the Mahwah eruv vandalism should be reported either by phone at 1-800-277-BIAS or online atwww.nj.gov/oag/bias .